Residential Alarm System Saves Home
On Saturday, July 29, 2011, at 2:55pm, Keizer Fire District responded to a residential fire alarm at 248 Garland Way N. Upon arrival the first engine on scene found nothing showing from the outside and the homeowner standing in the garage. They informed the homeowner that the alarm monitoring company activated 911 for a smoke detector activation. Keizer Fire District responded with 1- Engine, 1-Medic unit, and 1-Duty Officer.
The homeowner had been preparing hummingbird nectar and left the pot cooking on the stove which was determined to be the cause of the fire, while she went outside to work in the yard. Upon entering the residence, crews found moderate smoke leading into the kitchen where they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the stove approximately 2-3 feet tall. Fire crews were able to contain the fire that caused an estimated $5,000.00 in damage, with a fire extinguisher at 3:05pm. After confirming that the fire did not spread to the attic, fire crews assisted with removing the smoke from the residence.