Two Alarm Fire Damages Keizer Home
The Keizer Fire District responded to the report of a house fire shortly before 3:00 am on Friday, May 20, 2011. When units arrived on scene they observed heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the single family residence.
The call was received at 2:46 am for a fire at 5453 Verda Lane NE in Keizer. Arriving fire crews found fire burning on an exterior wall at the rear of the structure of the residence. The flames had traveled into the attic space and were spreading through the residence.
The home sustained substantial fire damage. Damage to the residence was estimated at $175,000 and damage to the contents was estimated to be $50,000.
The home is owned and occupied by Cameron McClain and his wife Bethany McClain and their two children. The four occupants were asleep at the time of the fire. The McClain's woke to heavy smoke in their home, but did not have a working smoke alarm. They were able to safely escape from the fire and call 9-1-1.
Fire investigators have determined the fire started on the outside of the exterior wall near a charcoal BBQ. The fire burned under the siding and into the interior wall and then traveled up the inside of the wall into the attic space.
Fire Chief Jeff Cowan stressed the importance of having a working and properly placed smoke alarm in every home.
Fire officials would like to remind residents to take caution when using BBQ's near your home and other combustibles. The grill and coals stay hot long after it has been used. Place BBQ's several feet away from combustibles. Always maintain a three foot safety clearance between the BBQ and combustibles.
Four engines, two medics, one duty officer vehicle, one ladder truck, one fire investigation vehicle and 25 firefighters responded to the incident. No human injuries were reported: however one dog and two cats perished in the fire. Marion County Fire District One and Salem Fire Department responded as mutual aid to the call.
Contact Info: Contact: Anne-Marie Storms, Public Education Specialist