site map | advanced search
Back
LINE
Keizer Fire District
661 Chemawa Road NE
Keizer, Oregon 97303
PHONE: 503-390-9111
Email: Click here
Share |
Unattended Candle Causes House Fire - 4686 Rivercrest DR N
Thursday, October 28, 2010


Photo of Candle Fire Damage
Rivercrest Candle Fire

The Keizer fire district responded to the report of a house fire shortly after 11:00 am on Thursday, October 28, 2010.

 

Fire fighters responded to a single family home at 4686 Rivercrest Drive N at 11:27am. The caller reported hearing popping noises and smoke was coming from the furnace vents.  

Upon arrival fire fighters saw light smoke inside the residence. While searching the home they located the fire in a bedroom.

 

The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was kept to a minimum.

 

The bedroom door was closed, which greatly minimized the spread of smoke. The fire which was caused by an unattended candle caused approximately $2,000 worth of damage to the room and contents. 

 

One individual who was home at the time of the fire was transported to Salem Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

 

A total of one engine, two ambulances, one duty officer and thirteen firefighters responded to the scene. 

 

The Keizer Fire District would like to remind everyone to take care when using candles. 

  • Nearly half of all candle fires start in the bedroom. Do not use candles in the bedroom.
  • Always keep candles clear of flammable material or liquids. A good rule is to allow at least three feet from anything that can burn.
  • Keep candles out of drafts that blow flames towards flammable materials.
  • Always use stable and secure candle holders.
  • Never leave candles unattended, for even short periods of time.
  • Extinguish candles with care.
  • Do not allow them to burn below two inches above the rim of the holder. Make sure wicks are dead out.
  • Teach children, that like matches and lighters, candles must be handled by adults with care.
  • Never permit youngsters or teens to have candles in their bedrooms.

 Remember, candles are deadly. 





Keizer Fire Dist. - 661 Chemawa Rd NE - Keizer, OR 97303 - Phone: 503-390-9111 | Designed, Developed & Deployed by Project A