site map | advanced search
Keizer Fire District
661 Chemawa Road NE
Keizer, Oregon 97303
PHONE: 503-390-9111
Email: Click here
Share |
4th of July Fireworks Safety

The most dangerous time of the year for injuries and fires caused by fireworks has arrived. While incidents related to fireworks can occur anytime of year, most occur between June 1st and July 31st as we celebrate the Independence Day.


The best way to be safe during this holiday is to leave the fireworks to the professionals. Attend one of the many fireworks exhibitions in the Willamette valley.


If you and your family choose to use fireworks at home, obey the law and think safety.

In Oregon, legal fireworks can only be sold from June 23rd through July 6th at licensed retail stands. Oregon law requires that a person be at least sixteen years of age to purchase any fireworks.


Oregon law prohibits the sale or use of fireworks that do the following:


           Fly through the air

           Move more than twelve feet on smooth ground

           Act in an uncontrolled manner.


Examples of illegal fireworks include firecrackers, bottle or skyrockets, Roman candles and chasers.


Always remember, under Oregon law officials may seize illegal fireworks and fine offenders up to $500 per violation. Any person misusing fireworks or whose fireworks cause damage may be required to pay for the resulting damage caused by the fire or other damage, such as injuries to people or pets. Parents can be liable for damage caused by fireworks that were lit by their children. Costs may include assessed fines as well as costs of suppressing the fire by the fire department.


When using fireworks, the following safety procedures should always be followed:

           Have a hose or a bucket of water handy for emergencies and to douse misfires or spent   fireworks.

           Always have an adult present when children are using fireworks.

           Read and follow label directions carefully.

           Only use fireworks outdoors and away from buildings, shrubbery and dry grass.

           Light one at a time and move away quickly.

           Never point or throw fireworks at people, pets, cars or buildings.

           Keep fireworks away from small children.

           Do not alter fireworks or attempt to make your own.


Sparklers, often given to young children, can burn at temperatures up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and can cause serious burn injuries instantly with scars that will last a lifetime.


Firecrackers, bottle rockets, sparklers, and Roman candles cause most injuries. Bottle rockets accounted for two-thirds of fireworks-related injuries in the United States last year. Over one-half of fire-works related injuries were eye injuries.


Finally, remember fireworks can frighten pets, so be aware and keep your pets inside whenever fire works are being used.


Keizer Fire Dist. - 661 Chemawa Rd NE - Keizer, OR 97303 - Phone: 503-390-9111 | Designed, Developed & Deployed by Project A