Chimney Fire Displaces FamilyFriday, December 11, 2009
The Keizer Fire District received the report of a chimney fire at 1087 Dearborn Ave NE at 12:00 am on Thursday, December 10, 2009. When the first unit arrived on scene at 12:03 am they reported smoke coming from the front of the residence. Upon entering the house crews pulled dry wall from the ceiling and wall around the fireplace. Firefighters found the studs in the wall were charred and burning.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and limit the damage of the home to approximately $2,000. The home is owned by and occupied by Karen Klee.
No one was injured in the incident. A total of three fire engines, one ambulance, one duty officer vehicle and fourteen firefighters responded to the call and had the fire under control at 12:20 am.
Marion County Fire District No 1 responded to the fire and also a medical aid call during the incident which resulted in the transport of one patient. Salem Fire Engine Two assisted with the medical call.
The Keizer Fire District would like to remind everyone to have a working smoke alarm in their home and to always use caution when using a wood stove or fireplace. Chimneys need to be cleaned yearly and should be inspected if they have not been used for several years.